Saturday, December 6, 2008

Use What You Have

I'm almost finished decorating for Christmas, thanks to my sister-in-law who has the gift of decorating! She came over the other night to help "tweak" my decorations. I told her to find things around the house and use them.

With difficult economic times, I'm trying to balance my love for decorating at Christmas time without spending extra money. So, I'm using what I have and trying to use things that can be used throughout the year. I have a number of red decorating accents in my home, so it is easy to decorate and add things for Christmas.

Here is one of my favorite things in my house. My old window! This window was weathered the old fashioned way, by staying in the outdoor elements for years. It came from my parents farm. Every season I just change the wreath around. My friend Laurie also did something special with her window that she can use all year long.


This crystal bowl was one of those wedding gifts that I received and I wasn't sure what to do with it. Well my sister-in-law said, "fill it with candy!" Notice that the bag of Hershey Kisses hasn't been opened. In our home, they wouldn't last if they were left open, and in sight.


The cupboard in our half bath has been empty for a long time. I just added some red and green covered books (not even Christmas related) and I rolled up some colored wash clothes and towels that I had.


Our fireplace mantle is almost finished. I have to put some fresh greens on top to fill in some spaces. Here I'm using a vase that is out all the time, just added some red berries. With the winter sign and "red" additions I will be able to use these things throughout winter, not just for the month of December.


The last thing I wanted to show you is my tree skirt. They can be expensive, so I found a round tablecloth, a few years ago, and I cut it down on the one side. It makes a great tree skirt for a little cost and a little work.

No comments: