Friday, August 22, 2008

Grocery Game


I am trying to save money on groceries. This summer I had great plans of coming up with a food plan based on common food ingredients, so there would be less waste. I had good intentions, but that is all the further I got. So with the price of food rising (like everything else), I'm trying to go about saving money in a different way.

The other weekend there was a very interesting article in the paper, about saving money on food. The main point that I got from the article was don't go shopping based on NEED, but what is on SALE! Specifically look at what is on sale and use a coupon if you have it. THEN, at home base your meals on the food that you have at home.

This was my first attempt at purchasing items on sale (that I use) and then checking to see if I have a coupon. I did save money! My big thing is that I don't want to purchase items that I won't use (a big waste of money). My other plan is to track the sale target price. This will help to determine if I am getting a good deal or not.

One last thing to look at is the store brand price (depending upon if you are brand loyal or not), even with a sale and coupon the store brand for bread was on sale for a cheaper price than all the discounts for the name brand bread.

Please let me know how you save money on food!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I save money on food by sending my Dutch hubby to do all the grocery shopping.

Nothing goes in the cart if it ain't on sale. (Apparently we are Dutch with bad grammar too!)

Kelley said...

We shop sales most of the time too and clip coupons like crazy. We do a lot of meal planning according to the Meijer ad. LOL.