Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Quiet Time Vs. Nap Time


I have a 3 1/2 and a 5 1/2 year old. The youngest one has a lot of energy. She was up at 5:15 AM. She is usually up early (between 5 and 6) and she likes to go. Unless, we are at Meijers around noon, then see a previous post. Anyway, there are days that she still takes a nap (makes no difference in her sleep schedule), but I'm also trying to introduce the concept of a "Quiet Time". You know the quiet time - reading, playing by yourself in your room, etc. Her older sister understands this and enjoys it. However, the younger one just doesn't get it.

Then, I got to thinking, I recently met with a number of parents, of teenagers, at parent teacher conference night. A number of them mentioned that they don't talk with their son or daughter, that he or she is in their room all the time and they only come out to eat or use the family computer. I think how sad. I don't want my girls to "hide" in their rooms when they are older. Maybe the quiet time isn't such a good idea. Any thoughts?

By the way, Olivia (the youngest) just decided that the "quiet time" is just to difficult for her, so she is opting for a nap. I just heard, "Mom, will you tuck me in?"

Note - picture added later. This is Olivia, sleeping on the floor in her swimsuit - both her idea.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Unless she's in her room text messaging her friends or surfing the net, I think quiet time is a great idea!

God bless you for being a mom of early risers. If the clock reads anything before 7:00 a.m. at my house, I'm one grumpy mommy! :)